Thursday

All In...

"Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart, live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours."

~Dale Carnegie

Yesterday I had an opportunity to teach a Communication and Leadership class for an amazing Fortune 500 company, and we briefly digressed into the distinction between "skill" and "will."

I told them; "I can teach you a skill.  I can't teach you will.  I cannot make you care... How many of you believe that??  (hands raised across the room).  Then let me give you a challenge.  Let's amend that thought.  I can't teach you to care.  But I can sure as heck TRY."


So often, 'caring' is simply a function of how we frame a reality for others.  Can we find their 'why'?  Can we create a meaning in a task?  An aim in an effort?  Quite simply, the reason to care...  I believe we can, and it is the defining skill that separates "managers" from "leaders."


No one lives to work.  But we all live for something.  Find a way to make that drive a part of you and your team's daily activities.  Link effort to a true purpose, and you might just find a renewed sense of purpose yourself...


Make it an awesome week!
Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment